Keep your smile healthy with consistent home and in-office oral hygiene, a healthy diet and if necessary, braces. Yes, orthodontics benefit patients of all ages in many ways. So, your Mooresville family dentist, Dr. R. Scott Langdon, recommends an orthodontic evaluation by age seven for the most functional, attractive smiles possible.
The health benefits of orthodontics
Orthodontic braces of all kinds improve smile aesthetics and therefore, a patient's outlook on life and self-image. In addition, the world at large perceives people with attractive smiles as friendly, more approachable and even smarter and more competent. Research cited by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry supports this.
Beyond aesthetics, orthodontic treatment--begun even at a later stage in life--delivers several important health benefits. Many of them may apply to your particular case.
The health benefits of braces include:
- Less gum disease and fewer cavities because teeth are much easier to brush and floss when aligned properly
- Fewer migraine headaches, earaches, facial pain and TMJ/TMD (jaw joint dysfunction)
- Reduced sleep apnea (a sleep disorder involving breathing cessation and its dangerous health effects)
- Teeth which are stronger, chip less and experience fewer accidents
- Clearer speech
- More effective and comfortable biting and chewing and therefore, better digestion
- Better facial harmony--in other words, facial features are more balanced in shape, size, and alignment, says the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD)
- A clearer, more efficient airway, particularly as you breathe through your nose
The AGD also states that modern orthodontics use a child's developing facial features and jaw bone to great advantage. Dentists can modify and expand the space within the oral cavity, correcting bite problems and therefore, reducing or even eliminating the need for extensive orthodontic treatment plans.
Find out more
Even older teens and adults who have healthy teeth and gums can take advantage of orthodontic care to correct longstanding smile problems. If you would like more details on how conventional braces or clear aligners could help your smile and your overall health, please contact your family dentist in Mooresville, NC, today. We are open Monday through Thursday from 8 am to 5 pm. Call (704) 664-1188.
Losing teeth can have a dramatic impact on your smile, whether you've lost just one tooth or all of them. Luckily, your Mooresville, NC, dentist, Dr. R. Scott Langdon, can fill the gaps in your smile with innovative dental implants.
Why should you choose dental implants?
Dental implants may be a good choice if you're concerned about:
- Longevity: Dental implants bond to your jawbone and usually never need to be replaced. The implants consist of small titanium posts that take the place of your tooth roots. They're attached to dental crowns to complete the restoration of your teeth.
- Appearance: Your Mooresville dentist will take an impression of your mouth to ensure that your new dental crown doesn't look out of place in your mouth. After receiving your implant and crown, you'll be glad to show off your improved smile. Implants can be used to replace any number of missing teeth and can even restore all of your teeth.
- Comfort: Dental implants feel like natural teeth because they're attached to your jawbone. They also make biting and chewing easier and won't decrease your biting power.
- Oral Health: Implants prevent your teeth from shifting, a common problem after tooth loss. Shifting teeth may be more likely to develop cavities due to difficulty removing plaque from overlapping surfaces. Bite problems can also occur as a result of drifting teeth.
- Jawbone Strength: Your tooth roots play an important role in the health of your jawbone. The roots stimulate the bone and keep it strong. Once a tooth is lost, the bone may begin to shrink, increasing your risk of further tooth loss and facial sagging. Dental implants provide constant stimulation and help you avoid a shrinking jawbone.
- Cost: Lifetime costs of dental implants are usually lower than those for bridges and dentures. Although you won't need to replace your implant in most cases, you may need to replace your dental crown eventually due to wear. Fortunately, the cost of crown replacement is less than the amount you'll pay to replace dentures and bridges periodically.
Restore your sparkling smile with dental implants! Call Mooresville, NC, dentist, Dr. R. Scott Langdon, at (704) 664-1188 to schedule an appointment.
There are several cosmetic dentistry procedures that can give you the smile you have always wanted. There are procedures for reshaping teeth, fixing chips/cracks, brightening your smile, and much more. A cosmetic dentist can help you select the right cosmetic dentistry procedures for you. Dr. R. Scott Langdon is your cosmetic dentist in Mooresville, NC.
Cosmetic contouring is a procedure for reshaping teeth that are oddly shaped. The teeth are contoured and reshaped by removing small portions of enamel. The dentist continues removing enamel a little at a time until the misshapen tooth has been corrected. During a consultation, your Mooresville cosmetic dentist can determine whether cosmetic contouring would be the right procedure for improving the appearance of a problem tooth.
Cosmetic fillings are an aesthetically pleasing alternative to metal fillings. Just like any other type of filling, cosmetic fillings help strengthen and restore areas of teeth that have been affected by decay. Cosmetic fillings are made from a composite resin material that can be closely matched to the natural tooth color. Since cosmetic fillings match the color of teeth, the fillings blend right in and are not easily noticed by others.
Veneers can give teeth with certain types of cosmetic imperfections a whole new look. A veneer is a thin cover, usually made from porcelain or plastic, that is placed on the front surface of a problem tooth to conceal any marred areas. Veneers help transform the look of teeth that are stained, discolored, chipped, cracked, oddly shaped, or have uneven surfaces. Veneers can also be used to conceal gaps between teeth. The size, shape, and color of veneers are customized to each patient for the best fit and most natural look possible.
Teeth whitening treatments can whiten your teeth by several shades in a single one-hour in-office treatment session. Professional in-office whitening treatments deliver the fastest and longest lasting whitening results of any type of teeth whitening treatment. Further, in-office teeth whitening treatments are the safest way to achieve significantly whiter and brighter teeth, for special precautions are taken to protect the gums.
Interested? Give Us a Call!
Several cosmetic dentistry procedures exist for transforming your smile. Dr. Langdon can help you decide which kind of cosmetic dentistry procedure is right for you. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Langdon, your cosmetic dentist in Mooresville, call the office at (704) 664-1188.
Everyone needs a dentist they can rely on, which is why it's important to have someone like Dr. Scott Langdon who can provide care for the entire family. Read below to learn of some of the services provided by your Mooresville, NC, dentist:
Different Dental Procedures:
- Dental Bonding: Generally performed to improve the appearance of a discolored or damaged tooth, this operation consists of your dentist applying an etching solution on the tooth surface before administering composite resin that matches your other teeth. The composite is then molded to the right shape and hardened with a curing light.
- Crowns: A dental crown is a porcelain cap that reinforces weak teeth or covers up defects such as cracks, dents, and chips. Crowns are especially important for severely decayed teeth that have had portions removed of them.
- Emergency Dental Service: If you have a dental emergency, just like any medical emergency, you need to call your doctor. When faced with dental trauma, such as a knocked out tooth, avoid complications and permanent damage by calling your dentist right away.
- Root Canal: When a cavity is deep enough to infiltrate the enamel, it reaches the nerve-rich layer of pulp, causing pain. Your Mooresville family dentist will need to remove the pulp before cleaning and disinfecting the canal from any remaining bacteria. The canal is then sealed so as to prevent bacteria from entering.
Here are a few tips to staying healthy:
- Visit your dentist for bi-annual dental appointments
- Brush and floss before bed to maintain optimal oral and dental health
- Drink plenty of water to remove food debris
- Use fluoride-containing products, such as toothpaste and mouthwash
- Eat fruits and vegetables that help avoid cavities
- Avoid eating hard candies and sugary food
For more information on what your family dentist can provide for you, contact Dr. Scott Langdon in Mooresville, NC, by calling 704-664-1188.
Do you need a tooth extraction?
Are your teeth crowded, diseased, or have gone through some sort of trauma? If so, Dr. Scott Langdon in Mooresville, NC, can help. Dr. Langdon performs dental extractions and can help you if you're in need of one.
More About Tooth Extractions
There are a few reasons you may need a tooth extraction:
- Overcrowding: All, most of, or some of your teeth are overcrowded causing issues in speech, or bite.
- Damage: Any trauma from sports, or accidents, may cause severe trauma resulting in a tooth extraction.
- Infection: Extreme tooth decay eroding teeth may infect your gums and other teeth if not dealt with.
To reduce the chances of needing a tooth extraction from diseases, here are some preventative measures to follow:
- Floss before bed and make sure you floss between each tooth and in hard to reach places like molars.
- Stop bad or poor habits like smoking, chewing tobacco, and drinking excessive amounts of coffee and tea.
- Brush your teeth twice a day, for two minutes each, holding the brush at a 40-degree angle to improve your chances of having healthy teeth.
You need to take care of yourself after a tooth extraction.
Here are some tips:
- Don't use a straw and ice the tooth extraction area.
- Don't eat or drink for a few hours.
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt water for constant disinfection, and call your Mooresville dentist if you're suffering from severe pain, it may be a dry socket (blood hasn't clotted properly).
- Use painkillers if needed and avoid smoking, or drinking alcoholic beverage after the procedure.
If you think you need a tooth extraction and want to consult your doctor to see if the tooth is beyond saving, then you should call your Mooresville, NC, dentist today!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.