Improving the appearance of your smile can be as simple as adding a thin veneer to the front surface of a tooth. Here at the Mooresville, NC, office of dentist Dr. R. Scott Langdon, veneers are one of our most popular cosmetic dentistry treatments—read on to learn why!
Veneers transform your smile
Veneers offer the ideal solution if your teeth are strong and healthy, though aesthetically flawed. These thin, tooth-shaped, porcelain shells are attached to the fronts of your teeth with dental cement. Once in place, imperfections and flaws disappear from view.
The restorations only require minimal changes to your teeth. During the first appointment at our Mooresville office, your cosmetic dentist will remove a tiny amount of tooth enamel to ensure that your veneers will fit properly. He'll then make an impression of your teeth, which will be used to create your custom restorations.
Veneers hide a multitude of flaws
Do you have a tooth that looks like it belongs in someone else's mouth? Although the rest of your teeth may look uniform, it's not uncommon to have one tooth that's oddly shaped or crooked. Adding a veneer to your problem tooth can improve the symmetry of your smile.
The restorations also offer a convenient way to hide minor damage, such as chips and shallow cracks. Is the surface of your tooth bumpy? Thanks to your new veneer, your tooth enamel will become perfectly smooth.
Veneers can also be a long-term whitening option if your smile isn't quite as bright as you'd like. The restorations are stain-resistant and available in many shades of white, allowing any discolored teeth to match the shade of their neighbors.
Interested? Give us a call
If you would like to learn more about veneers or any of our other cosmetic dentistry options, call Dr. R. Scott Langdon's Mooresville office at (704) 664-1188 to schedule your appointment.
To save your teeth, your Mooresville, NC, dentist Dr. R. Scott Langdon, may recommend root canal treatment. You may require a root canal if inflammation is present in the roots of one or more teeth. The purpose of root canal treatment is to eliminate harmful bacteria causing the infection, prevent re-infection, and preserve the natural tooth. Root canal therapy has a high success rate. If you require root canal treatment, Dr. R. Scott Langdon dedicates himself to delivering optimal care with minimal or no pain and discomfort.
What is a Root Canal?
There are one to four root canals in all of our teeth. Inside your tooth beneath a hard layer of dentin and enamel, is a soft tissue called pulp. The pulp is the inner chamber for the nerves, blood vessels, and connective tissue - so when it develops an infection, you're most likely to experience pain, discomfort, and sensitivity.
Why Do I Need Root Canal Treatment?
When the soft tissues inside the pulp become infected or inflamed, root canal treatment is an excellent alternative to tooth extraction. Removing the diseased tissue halts stops the spread of infection in its tracks and saves a problem tooth, restoring it to a healthy function. An injury to the tooth may also cause pulp damage. If the diseased tooth is left untreated, a painful abscess may form.
How is a Root Canal Performed?
Your Mooresville, NC, dentist, Dr. Langdon, can perform your root canal in three visits or less. During your visits, you can expect him to remove the dental pulp that has acquired an infection, clean and disinfect the pulp chamber, and reshape the tooth's tiny canals. Once the area is sterile, the doctor will fill the channels with an elastic material and a safe medication designed to prevent infection.
If you have excessive inflammation in your tooth's roots, it may be time to discuss root canal treatment with your Mooresville, NC, dentist, Dr. Langdon. For questions or concerns, please call (704) 664-1188.
Keep your smile healthy with consistent home and in-office oral hygiene, a healthy diet and if necessary, braces. Yes, orthodontics benefit patients of all ages in many ways. So, your Mooresville family dentist, Dr. R. Scott Langdon, recommends an orthodontic evaluation by age seven for the most functional, attractive smiles possible.
The health benefits of orthodontics
Orthodontic braces of all kinds improve smile aesthetics and therefore, a patient's outlook on life and self-image. In addition, the world at large perceives people with attractive smiles as friendly, more approachable and even smarter and more competent. Research cited by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry supports this.
Beyond aesthetics, orthodontic treatment--begun even at a later stage in life--delivers several important health benefits. Many of them may apply to your particular case.
The health benefits of braces include:
- Less gum disease and fewer cavities because teeth are much easier to brush and floss when aligned properly
- Fewer migraine headaches, earaches, facial pain and TMJ/TMD (jaw joint dysfunction)
- Reduced sleep apnea (a sleep disorder involving breathing cessation and its dangerous health effects)
- Teeth which are stronger, chip less and experience fewer accidents
- Clearer speech
- More effective and comfortable biting and chewing and therefore, better digestion
- Better facial harmony--in other words, facial features are more balanced in shape, size, and alignment, says the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD)
- A clearer, more efficient airway, particularly as you breathe through your nose
The AGD also states that modern orthodontics use a child's developing facial features and jaw bone to great advantage. Dentists can modify and expand the space within the oral cavity, correcting bite problems and therefore, reducing or even eliminating the need for extensive orthodontic treatment plans.
Find out more
Even older teens and adults who have healthy teeth and gums can take advantage of orthodontic care to correct longstanding smile problems. If you would like more details on how conventional braces or clear aligners could help your smile and your overall health, please contact your family dentist in Mooresville, NC, today. We are open Monday through Thursday from 8 am to 5 pm. Call (704) 664-1188.
Losing teeth can have a dramatic impact on your smile, whether you've lost just one tooth or all of them. Luckily, your Mooresville, NC, dentist, Dr. R. Scott Langdon, can fill the gaps in your smile with innovative dental implants.
Why should you choose dental implants?
Dental implants may be a good choice if you're concerned about:
- Longevity: Dental implants bond to your jawbone and usually never need to be replaced. The implants consist of small titanium posts that take the place of your tooth roots. They're attached to dental crowns to complete the restoration of your teeth.
- Appearance: Your Mooresville dentist will take an impression of your mouth to ensure that your new dental crown doesn't look out of place in your mouth. After receiving your implant and crown, you'll be glad to show off your improved smile. Implants can be used to replace any number of missing teeth and can even restore all of your teeth.
- Comfort: Dental implants feel like natural teeth because they're attached to your jawbone. They also make biting and chewing easier and won't decrease your biting power.
- Oral Health: Implants prevent your teeth from shifting, a common problem after tooth loss. Shifting teeth may be more likely to develop cavities due to difficulty removing plaque from overlapping surfaces. Bite problems can also occur as a result of drifting teeth.
- Jawbone Strength: Your tooth roots play an important role in the health of your jawbone. The roots stimulate the bone and keep it strong. Once a tooth is lost, the bone may begin to shrink, increasing your risk of further tooth loss and facial sagging. Dental implants provide constant stimulation and help you avoid a shrinking jawbone.
- Cost: Lifetime costs of dental implants are usually lower than those for bridges and dentures. Although you won't need to replace your implant in most cases, you may need to replace your dental crown eventually due to wear. Fortunately, the cost of crown replacement is less than the amount you'll pay to replace dentures and bridges periodically.
Restore your sparkling smile with dental implants! Call Mooresville, NC, dentist, Dr. R. Scott Langdon, at (704) 664-1188 to schedule an appointment.
There are several cosmetic dentistry procedures that can give you the smile you have always wanted. There are procedures for reshaping teeth, fixing chips/cracks, brightening your smile, and much more. A cosmetic dentist can help you select the right cosmetic dentistry procedures for you. Dr. R. Scott Langdon is your cosmetic dentist in Mooresville, NC.
Cosmetic contouring is a procedure for reshaping teeth that are oddly shaped. The teeth are contoured and reshaped by removing small portions of enamel. The dentist continues removing enamel a little at a time until the misshapen tooth has been corrected. During a consultation, your Mooresville cosmetic dentist can determine whether cosmetic contouring would be the right procedure for improving the appearance of a problem tooth.
Cosmetic fillings are an aesthetically pleasing alternative to metal fillings. Just like any other type of filling, cosmetic fillings help strengthen and restore areas of teeth that have been affected by decay. Cosmetic fillings are made from a composite resin material that can be closely matched to the natural tooth color. Since cosmetic fillings match the color of teeth, the fillings blend right in and are not easily noticed by others.
Veneers can give teeth with certain types of cosmetic imperfections a whole new look. A veneer is a thin cover, usually made from porcelain or plastic, that is placed on the front surface of a problem tooth to conceal any marred areas. Veneers help transform the look of teeth that are stained, discolored, chipped, cracked, oddly shaped, or have uneven surfaces. Veneers can also be used to conceal gaps between teeth. The size, shape, and color of veneers are customized to each patient for the best fit and most natural look possible.
Teeth whitening treatments can whiten your teeth by several shades in a single one-hour in-office treatment session. Professional in-office whitening treatments deliver the fastest and longest lasting whitening results of any type of teeth whitening treatment. Further, in-office teeth whitening treatments are the safest way to achieve significantly whiter and brighter teeth, for special precautions are taken to protect the gums.
Interested? Give Us a Call!
Several cosmetic dentistry procedures exist for transforming your smile. Dr. Langdon can help you decide which kind of cosmetic dentistry procedure is right for you. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Langdon, your cosmetic dentist in Mooresville, call the office at (704) 664-1188.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.