Posts for category: Dental Procedures
When it comes to getting dental treatment our goal is to treat the problem as efficiently as possible. This is why our Mooresville, NC, family dentist Dr. Scott Langdon is proud to offer patients CEREC crowns.
In the past, getting dental crowns could be quite the process, but not anymore. CEREC crowns make it so much easier to get the restorative dentistry you need as quickly as possible.
What is CEREC?
CEREC is responsible for providing same-day crowns to our patients. Instead of waiting weeks to get your new, custom-made and permanent dental crown, our Mooresville, NC, general dentist can provide you with a long-term crown in just a single appointment.
What are the benefits of CEREC crowns?
Here are some of the advantages of CEREC technology,
Digital Impressions Only
Some people really loathe the putty used to make dental impressions. We totally get it! So you’ll be more than relieved to hear that CEREC doesn’t use these putty-type impressions. Instead, images are captured digitally. These measurements are more accurate than traditional impressions and it only takes a couple of minutes to complete.
Say Goodbye to Waiting
No one likes to wait, especially when they are waiting for a new dental restoration. By providing patients with CEREC crowns, our dental team can streamline the process and ensure that everything is done in-house during your one and only appointment. You will come into the office and leave with your brand new crown.
No Need for Temporary Crowns
With traditional crowns you had to wait weeks for your new restoration, which also meant wearing a temporary crown for a couple of weeks. Most people aren’t thrilled by temporary crowns because they are not nearly as durable and you may need to avoid certain foods. It’s really just a way to protect the tooth until your new crown is made. With CEREC crowns we can place your crown in a single visit, which means that you don't have to worry about temporary crowns.
If you are looking for a family dentist that can provide you with fast restorative dental care including CEREC crowns, then turn to Dr. Langdon and his team at Mooresville, NC. Call their office today at (704) 664-1188 to find out if same-day crowns are right for you.
To save your teeth, your Mooresville, NC, dentist Dr. R. Scott Langdon, may recommend root canal treatment. You may require a root canal if inflammation is present in the roots of one or more teeth. The purpose of root canal treatment is to eliminate harmful bacteria causing the infection, prevent re-infection, and preserve the natural tooth. Root canal therapy has a high success rate. If you require root canal treatment, Dr. R. Scott Langdon dedicates himself to delivering optimal care with minimal or no pain and discomfort.
What is a Root Canal?
There are one to four root canals in all of our teeth. Inside your tooth beneath a hard layer of dentin and enamel, is a soft tissue called pulp. The pulp is the inner chamber for the nerves, blood vessels, and connective tissue - so when it develops an infection, you're most likely to experience pain, discomfort, and sensitivity.
Why Do I Need Root Canal Treatment?
When the soft tissues inside the pulp become infected or inflamed, root canal treatment is an excellent alternative to tooth extraction. Removing the diseased tissue halts stops the spread of infection in its tracks and saves a problem tooth, restoring it to a healthy function. An injury to the tooth may also cause pulp damage. If the diseased tooth is left untreated, a painful abscess may form.
How is a Root Canal Performed?
Your Mooresville, NC, dentist, Dr. Langdon, can perform your root canal in three visits or less. During your visits, you can expect him to remove the dental pulp that has acquired an infection, clean and disinfect the pulp chamber, and reshape the tooth's tiny canals. Once the area is sterile, the doctor will fill the channels with an elastic material and a safe medication designed to prevent infection.
If you have excessive inflammation in your tooth's roots, it may be time to discuss root canal treatment with your Mooresville, NC, dentist, Dr. Langdon. For questions or concerns, please call (704) 664-1188.
Losing teeth can have a dramatic impact on your smile, whether you've lost just one tooth or all of them. Luckily, your Mooresville, NC, dentist, Dr. R. Scott Langdon, can fill the gaps in your smile with innovative dental implants.
Why should you choose dental implants?
Dental implants may be a good choice if you're concerned about:
- Longevity: Dental implants bond to your jawbone and usually never need to be replaced. The implants consist of small titanium posts that take the place of your tooth roots. They're attached to dental crowns to complete the restoration of your teeth.
- Appearance: Your Mooresville dentist will take an impression of your mouth to ensure that your new dental crown doesn't look out of place in your mouth. After receiving your implant and crown, you'll be glad to show off your improved smile. Implants can be used to replace any number of missing teeth and can even restore all of your teeth.
- Comfort: Dental implants feel like natural teeth because they're attached to your jawbone. They also make biting and chewing easier and won't decrease your biting power.
- Oral Health: Implants prevent your teeth from shifting, a common problem after tooth loss. Shifting teeth may be more likely to develop cavities due to difficulty removing plaque from overlapping surfaces. Bite problems can also occur as a result of drifting teeth.
- Jawbone Strength: Your tooth roots play an important role in the health of your jawbone. The roots stimulate the bone and keep it strong. Once a tooth is lost, the bone may begin to shrink, increasing your risk of further tooth loss and facial sagging. Dental implants provide constant stimulation and help you avoid a shrinking jawbone.
- Cost: Lifetime costs of dental implants are usually lower than those for bridges and dentures. Although you won't need to replace your implant in most cases, you may need to replace your dental crown eventually due to wear. Fortunately, the cost of crown replacement is less than the amount you'll pay to replace dentures and bridges periodically.
Restore your sparkling smile with dental implants! Call Mooresville, NC, dentist, Dr. R. Scott Langdon, at (704) 664-1188 to schedule an appointment.
Everyone needs a dentist they can rely on, which is why it's important to have someone like Dr. Scott Langdon who can provide care for the entire family. Read below to learn of some of the services provided by your Mooresville, NC, dentist:
Different Dental Procedures:
- Dental Bonding: Generally performed to improve the appearance of a discolored or damaged tooth, this operation consists of your dentist applying an etching solution on the tooth surface before administering composite resin that matches your other teeth. The composite is then molded to the right shape and hardened with a curing light.
- Crowns: A dental crown is a porcelain cap that reinforces weak teeth or covers up defects such as cracks, dents, and chips. Crowns are especially important for severely decayed teeth that have had portions removed of them.
- Emergency Dental Service: If you have a dental emergency, just like any medical emergency, you need to call your doctor. When faced with dental trauma, such as a knocked out tooth, avoid complications and permanent damage by calling your dentist right away.
- Root Canal: When a cavity is deep enough to infiltrate the enamel, it reaches the nerve-rich layer of pulp, causing pain. Your Mooresville family dentist will need to remove the pulp before cleaning and disinfecting the canal from any remaining bacteria. The canal is then sealed so as to prevent bacteria from entering.
Here are a few tips to staying healthy:
- Visit your dentist for bi-annual dental appointments
- Brush and floss before bed to maintain optimal oral and dental health
- Drink plenty of water to remove food debris
- Use fluoride-containing products, such as toothpaste and mouthwash
- Eat fruits and vegetables that help avoid cavities
- Avoid eating hard candies and sugary food
For more information on what your family dentist can provide for you, contact Dr. Scott Langdon in Mooresville, NC, by calling 704-664-1188.
Do you need a tooth extraction?
Are your teeth crowded, diseased, or have gone through some sort of trauma? If so, Dr. Scott Langdon in Mooresville, NC, can help. Dr. Langdon performs dental extractions and can help you if you're in need of one.
More About Tooth Extractions
There are a few reasons you may need a tooth extraction:
- Overcrowding: All, most of, or some of your teeth are overcrowded causing issues in speech, or bite.
- Damage: Any trauma from sports, or accidents, may cause severe trauma resulting in a tooth extraction.
- Infection: Extreme tooth decay eroding teeth may infect your gums and other teeth if not dealt with.
To reduce the chances of needing a tooth extraction from diseases, here are some preventative measures to follow:
- Floss before bed and make sure you floss between each tooth and in hard to reach places like molars.
- Stop bad or poor habits like smoking, chewing tobacco, and drinking excessive amounts of coffee and tea.
- Brush your teeth twice a day, for two minutes each, holding the brush at a 40-degree angle to improve your chances of having healthy teeth.
You need to take care of yourself after a tooth extraction.
Here are some tips:
- Don't use a straw and ice the tooth extraction area.
- Don't eat or drink for a few hours.
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt water for constant disinfection, and call your Mooresville dentist if you're suffering from severe pain, it may be a dry socket (blood hasn't clotted properly).
- Use painkillers if needed and avoid smoking, or drinking alcoholic beverage after the procedure.
If you think you need a tooth extraction and want to consult your doctor to see if the tooth is beyond saving, then you should call your Mooresville, NC, dentist today!