Posts for category: Dental Procedures
Losing teeth can have a dramatic impact on your smile, whether you've lost just one tooth or all of them. Luckily, your Mooresville, NC, dentist, Dr. R. Scott Langdon, can fill the gaps in your smile with innovative dental implants.
Why should you choose dental implants?
Dental implants may be a good choice if you're concerned about:
- Longevity: Dental implants bond to your jawbone and usually never need to be replaced. The implants consist of small titanium posts that take the place of your tooth roots. They're attached to dental crowns to complete the restoration of your teeth.
- Appearance: Your Mooresville dentist will take an impression of your mouth to ensure that your new dental crown doesn't look out of place in your mouth. After receiving your implant and crown, you'll be glad to show off your improved smile. Implants can be used to replace any number of missing teeth and can even restore all of your teeth.
- Comfort: Dental implants feel like natural teeth because they're attached to your jawbone. They also make biting and chewing easier and won't decrease your biting power.
- Oral Health: Implants prevent your teeth from shifting, a common problem after tooth loss. Shifting teeth may be more likely to develop cavities due to difficulty removing plaque from overlapping surfaces. Bite problems can also occur as a result of drifting teeth.
- Jawbone Strength: Your tooth roots play an important role in the health of your jawbone. The roots stimulate the bone and keep it strong. Once a tooth is lost, the bone may begin to shrink, increasing your risk of further tooth loss and facial sagging. Dental implants provide constant stimulation and help you avoid a shrinking jawbone.
- Cost: Lifetime costs of dental implants are usually lower than those for bridges and dentures. Although you won't need to replace your implant in most cases, you may need to replace your dental crown eventually due to wear. Fortunately, the cost of crown replacement is less than the amount you'll pay to replace dentures and bridges periodically.
Restore your sparkling smile with dental implants! Call Mooresville, NC, dentist, Dr. R. Scott Langdon, at (704) 664-1188 to schedule an appointment.
Everyone needs a dentist they can rely on, which is why it's important to have someone like Dr. Scott Langdon who can provide care for the entire family. Read below to learn of some of the services provided by your Mooresville, NC, dentist:
Different Dental Procedures:
- Dental Bonding: Generally performed to improve the appearance of a discolored or damaged tooth, this operation consists of your dentist applying an etching solution on the tooth surface before administering composite resin that matches your other teeth. The composite is then molded to the right shape and hardened with a curing light.
- Crowns: A dental crown is a porcelain cap that reinforces weak teeth or covers up defects such as cracks, dents, and chips. Crowns are especially important for severely decayed teeth that have had portions removed of them.
- Emergency Dental Service: If you have a dental emergency, just like any medical emergency, you need to call your doctor. When faced with dental trauma, such as a knocked out tooth, avoid complications and permanent damage by calling your dentist right away.
- Root Canal: When a cavity is deep enough to infiltrate the enamel, it reaches the nerve-rich layer of pulp, causing pain. Your Mooresville family dentist will need to remove the pulp before cleaning and disinfecting the canal from any remaining bacteria. The canal is then sealed so as to prevent bacteria from entering.
Here are a few tips to staying healthy:
- Visit your dentist for bi-annual dental appointments
- Brush and floss before bed to maintain optimal oral and dental health
- Drink plenty of water to remove food debris
- Use fluoride-containing products, such as toothpaste and mouthwash
- Eat fruits and vegetables that help avoid cavities
- Avoid eating hard candies and sugary food
For more information on what your family dentist can provide for you, contact Dr. Scott Langdon in Mooresville, NC, by calling 704-664-1188.
Do you need a tooth extraction?
Are your teeth crowded, diseased, or have gone through some sort of trauma? If so, Dr. Scott Langdon in Mooresville, NC, can help. Dr. Langdon performs dental extractions and can help you if you're in need of one.
More About Tooth Extractions
There are a few reasons you may need a tooth extraction:
- Overcrowding: All, most of, or some of your teeth are overcrowded causing issues in speech, or bite.
- Damage: Any trauma from sports, or accidents, may cause severe trauma resulting in a tooth extraction.
- Infection: Extreme tooth decay eroding teeth may infect your gums and other teeth if not dealt with.
To reduce the chances of needing a tooth extraction from diseases, here are some preventative measures to follow:
- Floss before bed and make sure you floss between each tooth and in hard to reach places like molars.
- Stop bad or poor habits like smoking, chewing tobacco, and drinking excessive amounts of coffee and tea.
- Brush your teeth twice a day, for two minutes each, holding the brush at a 40-degree angle to improve your chances of having healthy teeth.
You need to take care of yourself after a tooth extraction.
Here are some tips:
- Don't use a straw and ice the tooth extraction area.
- Don't eat or drink for a few hours.
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt water for constant disinfection, and call your Mooresville dentist if you're suffering from severe pain, it may be a dry socket (blood hasn't clotted properly).
- Use painkillers if needed and avoid smoking, or drinking alcoholic beverage after the procedure.
If you think you need a tooth extraction and want to consult your doctor to see if the tooth is beyond saving, then you should call your Mooresville, NC, dentist today!
Do you want to know more about dental sealants? Do you want to know if they're a good option for your child's dental health? Well, look no further. When it comes to your children's oral health, you can speak with your Mooresville, NC, dentist, Dr. Scott Langdon.
What are sealants?
Your teeth consist of grooves and pits where decay can grow and compromise the health of your teeth. Unfortunately, brushing and flossing doesn't always reach decay, which is why sealants were developed. Sealants were developed about 50 years ago and are used as a preventative measure for children.
A sealant is a thin coat applied to the surface of teeth, preferably the chewing surfaces. They prevent bacteria, as well as other debris, into the grooves and pits of your teeth.
How should you maintain your child's teeth?
If bacteria settles in, cavities can begin to eat away at your child's teeth. That's why it's important that you help your child maintain a consistent oral regiment of brushing and flossing, as well as visiting the dentist twice a year. Make sure your child drinks plenty of water to wash away food debris and avoid giving them too much sugary food. Supplement them with fruits and vegetables, and provide them fluoride-containing mouthwash and toothpaste.
Want to know more about the importance of sealants for your child?
Getting dental sealants is not difficult or painful.
- Your Mooresville dentist will clean and dry your child's tooth
- Then they apply an acid gel
- Your child's tooth will become rougher on the chewing surface
- Your doctor will then remove the gel, dry the tooth and apply sealant onto the grooves
- The dentist will expose the sealant to a special dental light to harden the sealant
Sealants are beneficial to children and adults, and the sooner you get them the sooner your teeth will be protected. So when you visit your dentist, make sure you ask them about sealants.
Dental crowns are longstanding and reliable restorations which bring damaged teeth back to life. If you have a tooth that's weak, misshapen, decayed or fractured, you could be a candidate for a CEREC crown from Dr. R. Scott Langdon, your Mooresville, NC, dentist. These one-visit porcelain crowns are lifelike and strong.
What is a crown?
It's a tooth-shaped cap, shaped to fill a smile gap and to fit perfectly over the healthy parts of an ailing tooth. Crowns help avoid the harmful consequences of tooth loss--marred personal appearance, bone and gum recession, impaired oral function and more. Crowns also restore dental implants, support traditional bridges and cover teeth saved by root canal therapy.
Most dentists, including Dr. Langdon, choose porcelain as their preferred crown material because of its realistic appearance and strength. Other common materials are porcelain fused to metal, or PFM.
Whatever the material, crowns support and beautify damaged teeth for years. They require meticulous brushing and flossing (as do all your teeth), and of course, Dr. Langdon sees all his patients every six months for cleanings and check-ups, as recommended by the American Dental Association.
Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics. That's what CEREC means, and it's a remarkable process. With digital imaging and impression techniques, your Mooresville, NC, dentist can create a three-dimensional, virtual model of your tooth and surrounding tissues and then translate that information into an actual porcelain crown.
Where does this happen? It all happens right in Dr. Langdon's treatment room, eliminating third-party dental labs, long wait times (days to weeks) and awkward temporary crowns.
Dr. Langdon will examine your tooth and X-ray it to confirm it's healthy enough to receive a crown. He'll numb the area around the tooth and remove the damaged portions, including old fillings. Then, he'll do a final shaping.
As you wait in the dental chair, you can watch your crown take shape as the CEREC apparatus mills it from a solid block of tooth-colored porcelain. The process takes about 20 minutes, and when complete, the crown is bonded permanently over your tooth. Because CEREC processes are so precise, the crown should fit and bite perfectly right away with little to no adjustment needed.
Keep your tooth
Restore it with a beautiful porcelain crown from Dr. R. Scott Langdon in Mooresville, NC. He'll explain the process and discuss with you the many benefits of Cerec crowns. Call the office today for a one-on-one consultation: (704) 664-1188.