Posts for: October, 2016
Dental implants offer an excellent, long-lasting way to replace your missing tooth, but they aren't appropriate for everyone. Dr. R. Scott Langdon, your Mooresville, NC dentist explains how you can tell if you're a good candidate for this innovative tooth replacement option.
5 signs that indicate you're ready for a dental implant
Your Mooresville dentist considers these five things when assessing whether you're a good candidate for dental implants.
- Jawbone strength and depth: Because dental implants bond to your jawbone, they won't work if your bone isn't in good condition or isn't deep enough to support the implant. In many cases, bone grafts can be used to deepen and strengthen your jawbone. If you require a graft, the implant process will be extended by several months.
- Healthy gums: Just as your gums help support your natural teeth, they also support your implant. Gum disease can cause your gums to pull away from your teeth and can eventually lead to tooth loss if it isn't treated. If your dentist notices any signs of gum disease, you must be successfully treated for the disease before you can receive an implant.
- Clenching and grinding: Clenching and grinding your teeth at night interferes with the bonding process and can eventually loosen implants. If you do clench or grind your teeth, you may still be able to get an implant, but you'll need to wear a nightguard to reduce the effects on your implant.
- Oral hygiene: If you're diligent about brushing and flossing, you're a good candidate for dental implants. Although your implant is artificial, it can still be affected if plaque builds up around it. In severe cases, you may even develop periodontitis, an infection that can lead to the loss of the implant. Brushing and flossing daily will reduce the risk of this infection.
- General health: People who are in good health are more likely to have a successful experience with implants. Smoking can interfere with bone and tissue healing, as can diabetes and other diseases. Your dentist will ask you questions about your general health before you receive the implant to ensure that it's the right tooth replacement option for you.
Are you wondering if you're a good candidate for dental implants? Call Dr. R. Scott Langdon, your Mooresville, NC dentist at (704) 664-1188 to schedule an appointment to get the process started.