Do you need a tooth extraction?
Are your teeth crowded, diseased, or have gone through some sort of trauma? If so, Dr. Scott Langdon in Mooresville, NC, can help. Dr. Langdon performs dental extractions and can help you if you're in need of one.
More About Tooth Extractions
There are a few reasons you may need a tooth extraction:
- Overcrowding: All, most of, or some of your teeth are overcrowded causing issues in speech, or bite.
- Damage: Any trauma from sports, or accidents, may cause severe trauma resulting in a tooth extraction.
- Infection: Extreme tooth decay eroding teeth may infect your gums and other teeth if not dealt with.
To reduce the chances of needing a tooth extraction from diseases, here are some preventative measures to follow:
- Floss before bed and make sure you floss between each tooth and in hard to reach places like molars.
- Stop bad or poor habits like smoking, chewing tobacco, and drinking excessive amounts of coffee and tea.
- Brush your teeth twice a day, for two minutes each, holding the brush at a 40-degree angle to improve your chances of having healthy teeth.
You need to take care of yourself after a tooth extraction.
Here are some tips:
- Don't use a straw and ice the tooth extraction area.
- Don't eat or drink for a few hours.
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt water for constant disinfection, and call your Mooresville dentist if you're suffering from severe pain, it may be a dry socket (blood hasn't clotted properly).
- Use painkillers if needed and avoid smoking, or drinking alcoholic beverage after the procedure.
If you think you need a tooth extraction and want to consult your doctor to see if the tooth is beyond saving, then you should call your Mooresville, NC, dentist today!