Keep your smile healthy with consistent home and in-office oral hygiene, a healthy diet and if necessary, braces. Yes, orthodontics benefit patients of all ages in many ways. So, your Mooresville family dentist, Dr. R. Scott Langdon, recommends an orthodontic evaluation by age seven for the most functional, attractive smiles possible.
The health benefits of orthodontics
Orthodontic braces of all kinds improve smile aesthetics and therefore, a patient's outlook on life and self-image. In addition, the world at large perceives people with attractive smiles as friendly, more approachable and even smarter and more competent. Research cited by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry supports this.
Beyond aesthetics, orthodontic treatment--begun even at a later stage in life--delivers several important health benefits. Many of them may apply to your particular case.
The health benefits of braces include:
- Less gum disease and fewer cavities because teeth are much easier to brush and floss when aligned properly
- Fewer migraine headaches, earaches, facial pain and TMJ/TMD (jaw joint dysfunction)
- Reduced sleep apnea (a sleep disorder involving breathing cessation and its dangerous health effects)
- Teeth which are stronger, chip less and experience fewer accidents
- Clearer speech
- More effective and comfortable biting and chewing and therefore, better digestion
- Better facial harmony--in other words, facial features are more balanced in shape, size, and alignment, says the Academy of General Dentistry (AGD)
- A clearer, more efficient airway, particularly as you breathe through your nose
The AGD also states that modern orthodontics use a child's developing facial features and jaw bone to great advantage. Dentists can modify and expand the space within the oral cavity, correcting bite problems and therefore, reducing or even eliminating the need for extensive orthodontic treatment plans.
Find out more
Even older teens and adults who have healthy teeth and gums can take advantage of orthodontic care to correct longstanding smile problems. If you would like more details on how conventional braces or clear aligners could help your smile and your overall health, please contact your family dentist in Mooresville, NC, today. We are open Monday through Thursday from 8 am to 5 pm. Call (704) 664-1188.