Preventive dental care keeps your smile vibrant and long-lasting. So, your family dentist in Mooresville, NC, Dr. R. Scott Langdon, wants you to make it a priority--both at home and in his office every six months. Together, you can make your oral health the best it can be.
There's a problem in your mouth
It's called bacteria--Streptococcus bacteria to be exact. It causes dental decay and gum disease, the foremost enemies of your teeth and gums, says the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). If you wish to keep your teeth, have pink and intact gums and strong systemic health, you must take care of your oral health.
Additionally, poor dental bite and alignment reduce smile health, appearance and longevity. And sadly, oral cancer is rampant throughout the United States. Do you know its signs? Dr. Langdon and his professional staff do. They'll check for them, and they'll teach you what to look for at home.
In short, preventive dental care benefits you and your loved ones for a lifetime. It avoids tooth loss, gum disease, and a whole host of issues that can impact your overall well-being, self-confidence and personal appearance.
What preventive care involves
It's not as hard as you may think. Here's what you should know:
1. Brush your teeth gently and thoroughly two times a day with a quality toothpaste. The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends staying at the sink for two minutes or longer.
2. Remove plaque from those hard-to-reach places with the flossing product you prefer.
3. See your family dentist in his Mooresville, NC, office for a refreshing cleaning and comprehensive exam. Dr. Langdon will check for tooth decay, gum disease, oral cancer, poor dental bite, failing fillings and crowns and more. If you have a concern or question, he'll be happy to address it as patient education is key to preventive care.
4. Avoid sugary snacks, smoking, and too much alcohol. All compromise your oral health.
5. Eat a diet high in fiber, calcium and protein. Drink water as part of your daily routine.
6. Take advantage of in-office fluoride treatments and/or plastic sealants to protect cavity-prone teeth and reduce dental sensitivity.
7. Wear a mouth guard if you play sports or grind your teeth (bruxism).
Protect one of your most precious assets
That's what preventive dental care is all about--your beautiful smile. For more information about our family dentistry services or to book your routine appointment, call the Mooresville office of Dr. R. Scott Langdon at (704) 664-1188.