Posts for category: Oral Health
Preventive dental care keeps your smile vibrant and long-lasting. So, your family dentist in Mooresville, NC, Dr. R. Scott Langdon, wants you to make it a priority--both at home and in his office every six months. Together, you can make your oral health the best it can be.
There's a problem in your mouth
It's called bacteria--Streptococcus bacteria to be exact. It causes dental decay and gum disease, the foremost enemies of your teeth and gums, says the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). If you wish to keep your teeth, have pink and intact gums and strong systemic health, you must take care of your oral health.
Additionally, poor dental bite and alignment reduce smile health, appearance and longevity. And sadly, oral cancer is rampant throughout the United States. Do you know its signs? Dr. Langdon and his professional staff do. They'll check for them, and they'll teach you what to look for at home.
In short, preventive dental care benefits you and your loved ones for a lifetime. It avoids tooth loss, gum disease, and a whole host of issues that can impact your overall well-being, self-confidence and personal appearance.
What preventive care involves
It's not as hard as you may think. Here's what you should know:
1. Brush your teeth gently and thoroughly two times a day with a quality toothpaste. The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends staying at the sink for two minutes or longer.
2. Remove plaque from those hard-to-reach places with the flossing product you prefer.
3. See your family dentist in his Mooresville, NC, office for a refreshing cleaning and comprehensive exam. Dr. Langdon will check for tooth decay, gum disease, oral cancer, poor dental bite, failing fillings and crowns and more. If you have a concern or question, he'll be happy to address it as patient education is key to preventive care.
4. Avoid sugary snacks, smoking, and too much alcohol. All compromise your oral health.
5. Eat a diet high in fiber, calcium and protein. Drink water as part of your daily routine.
6. Take advantage of in-office fluoride treatments and/or plastic sealants to protect cavity-prone teeth and reduce dental sensitivity.
7. Wear a mouth guard if you play sports or grind your teeth (bruxism).
Protect one of your most precious assets
That's what preventive dental care is all about--your beautiful smile. For more information about our family dentistry services or to book your routine appointment, call the Mooresville office of Dr. R. Scott Langdon at (704) 664-1188.
Dental implants offer an excellent option if you've experienced tooth loss. Whether you've lost one tooth or all of them, your Mooresville, NC, dentist, Dr. R. Scott Langdon can help you restore your smile with implants.
Dental implants look and feel natural
Tooth roots serve an important purpose. They keep your teeth firmly attached to your jawbone, making it possible to chew both soft and hard food. If you choose a tooth restoration method that doesn't replace your lost roots, you may notice a decline in your biting power. Eating harder or tough foods may be challenging or impossible.
Dental implants are small titanium posts that replace your roots. The posts are implanted in your jawbone during minor oral surgery and bond to the bone during a process called osseointegration. During osseointegration, bone grows around the implants, bonding them to your jawbone. Dental implants are topped with dental crowns, restorations that replace the top parts of teeth. Implants can also be connected to bridges or dentures.
Strong roots give you the biting power you need to eat a variety of foods and make eating a comfortable experience. Your new teeth won't slip or irritate your gums and will feel like your natural teeth.
Implants help you avoid oral health problems
Dental implants not only improve the appearance of your smile but also offer a few other important benefits, including:
- Value: Because your implants bond to your jawbone, they'll never need to be replaced as long as they remain healthy. Dental implants may be the most cost-effective restoration choice if you consider the lifetime costs of the various tooth replacement options.
- Better Oral Health: Your remaining teeth may shift after tooth loss. Adding implants prevents drifting, makes removing cavity-causing plaque easier and helps you avoid changes to your bite. Your implants keep your jawbone strong and healthy and help you avoid resorption, a condition that occurs when the bone shrinks after tooth loss.
- Easy Care: You won't need to learn any complicated oral care routines when you have dental implants. Daily brushing and flossing and regular visits to the Mooresville dental office will keep your implants healthy.
Fill the gaps in your smile with dental implants! Call your dentist in Mooresville, NC, Dr. R. Scott Landon, at (704) 664-1188 to schedule your appointment.
Many people are struggling with their appearance and self-esteem because of their damaged smiles caused by oral health problems or teeth imperfections. With the different tools and techniques available to dentists today, improving your smile is no longer that challenging. Here’s a look at some of the cosmetic dentistry treatments we offer here at R. Scott Langdon DDS in Mooresville, NC, under the supervision of our cosmetic dentist, Dr. Scott Langdon.
As far as cosmetic dentistry services are concerned, this may just be one of the most in-demand treatments worldwide. Teeth whitening is used mostly for those who experience discoloration of the teeth because of:
- Teeth injury
- Regularly drinking colored food and beverages
- Result of certain medications
- Certain illnesses
In-office bleaching is a better solution for stubborn stains and lasts longer. Your dentist can ensure that the right level of whitening is achieved as well as give you pointers on how to preserve the whiteness longer.
Dental bonding presents a fast and comfortable way of correcting tooth imperfections by filling in gaps, altering the tooth’s color, and reshaping teeth. This procedure could likewise be used to repair damaged or decayed teeth. With natural-looking materials, dental bonding can be done to easily blend with your natural teeth and improve your overall smile discreetly.
Installed at the front side of your teeth, these customized shells usually made from porcelain material is used to improve your smile by fixing teeth that:
- Have spaces in between them
- Are chipped or worn-down
- Have permanent stains
- Are shaped poorly
- Are slightly crooked
Your cosmetic dentist in Mooresville, NC, will fabricate an impression of the tooth for the fabrication of the veneer. The veneers will eventually be cemented in place and the teeth treated with light therapy. This hardens the cement and secures the veneers in place.
Enamel Contouring and Shaping
Despite the hardness of the tooth enamel, it can become damaged when not cared for properly. This cosmetic dentistry procedure removes or contours the enamel to give your teeth a better appearance and improve your smile. Enamel contouring and shaping are normally used to correct overlapping or crooked teeth, irregular-shaped and chipped teeth, as well as minor bite problems.
Interested in Cosmetic Dentistry? Talk to Us
Give us a call at (704) 664-1188 to arrange your consultation with our cosmetic dentist Dr. Scott Langdon of R. Scott Langdon DDS in Mooresville, NC.
Achieving healthy teeth takes a lifetime of care, going to the dentist twice a year is not enough to keep your teeth clean and healthy. This means that you need to have a good oral care routine at home that can maintain your oral health. Dr. R. Scott Langdon DDS is a family dentist in Mooresville, NC, who is here to help you learn about your oral care needs.
Oral Hygiene Basics
There are some basic principles that you can follow that help you maintain good oral health. Taking good care of your teeth by brushing regularly, at least two times a day. It is very important to brush your teeth before bed, ensuring that you are removing bacteria and plaque from your teeth not letting it rest and harden overnight. Flossing should be treated as just as important as brushing. Flossing removes plaque where brushing is not able to reach. This can prevent gum disease and cavities.
Common Oral Care Practices
While brushing and flossing are the basics of oral care, there are some other practices you can follow to ensure good oral health.
- Brush your tongue regularly
- Use fluoride toothpaste
- Use a soft bristle ADA approved toothbrush
- Use antiseptic mouthwash
- Maintain a healthy and balanced diet
These are just some of the common ways that you can keep good care of your teeth. To find out more about your specific oral care needs, contact your family dentist in Mooresville.
Learn More About Dental Hygiene From The Experts
While some oral care routines may be clear and easy to follow, with the help of a trained and qualified family dentist like Dr. R. Scott Langdon, you can learn about your specific needs and come up with a routine that can fit your needs and lifestyle the best. To set up an appointment at our office in Mooresville, call at (704) 664-1188 today.