Posts for tag: dental implants
Losing teeth can have a dramatic impact on your smile, whether you've lost just one tooth or all of them. Luckily, your Mooresville, NC, dentist, Dr. R. Scott Langdon, can fill the gaps in your smile with innovative dental implants.
Why should you choose dental implants?
Dental implants may be a good choice if you're concerned about:
- Longevity: Dental implants bond to your jawbone and usually never need to be replaced. The implants consist of small titanium posts that take the place of your tooth roots. They're attached to dental crowns to complete the restoration of your teeth.
- Appearance: Your Mooresville dentist will take an impression of your mouth to ensure that your new dental crown doesn't look out of place in your mouth. After receiving your implant and crown, you'll be glad to show off your improved smile. Implants can be used to replace any number of missing teeth and can even restore all of your teeth.
- Comfort: Dental implants feel like natural teeth because they're attached to your jawbone. They also make biting and chewing easier and won't decrease your biting power.
- Oral Health: Implants prevent your teeth from shifting, a common problem after tooth loss. Shifting teeth may be more likely to develop cavities due to difficulty removing plaque from overlapping surfaces. Bite problems can also occur as a result of drifting teeth.
- Jawbone Strength: Your tooth roots play an important role in the health of your jawbone. The roots stimulate the bone and keep it strong. Once a tooth is lost, the bone may begin to shrink, increasing your risk of further tooth loss and facial sagging. Dental implants provide constant stimulation and help you avoid a shrinking jawbone.
- Cost: Lifetime costs of dental implants are usually lower than those for bridges and dentures. Although you won't need to replace your implant in most cases, you may need to replace your dental crown eventually due to wear. Fortunately, the cost of crown replacement is less than the amount you'll pay to replace dentures and bridges periodically.
Restore your sparkling smile with dental implants! Call Mooresville, NC, dentist, Dr. R. Scott Langdon, at (704) 664-1188 to schedule an appointment.
Dental implants offer an excellent, long-lasting way to replace your missing tooth, but they aren't appropriate for everyone. Dr. R. Scott Langdon, your Mooresville, NC dentist explains how you can tell if you're a good candidate for this innovative tooth replacement option.
5 signs that indicate you're ready for a dental implant
Your Mooresville dentist considers these five things when assessing whether you're a good candidate for dental implants.
- Jawbone strength and depth: Because dental implants bond to your jawbone, they won't work if your bone isn't in good condition or isn't deep enough to support the implant. In many cases, bone grafts can be used to deepen and strengthen your jawbone. If you require a graft, the implant process will be extended by several months.
- Healthy gums: Just as your gums help support your natural teeth, they also support your implant. Gum disease can cause your gums to pull away from your teeth and can eventually lead to tooth loss if it isn't treated. If your dentist notices any signs of gum disease, you must be successfully treated for the disease before you can receive an implant.
- Clenching and grinding: Clenching and grinding your teeth at night interferes with the bonding process and can eventually loosen implants. If you do clench or grind your teeth, you may still be able to get an implant, but you'll need to wear a nightguard to reduce the effects on your implant.
- Oral hygiene: If you're diligent about brushing and flossing, you're a good candidate for dental implants. Although your implant is artificial, it can still be affected if plaque builds up around it. In severe cases, you may even develop periodontitis, an infection that can lead to the loss of the implant. Brushing and flossing daily will reduce the risk of this infection.
- General health: People who are in good health are more likely to have a successful experience with implants. Smoking can interfere with bone and tissue healing, as can diabetes and other diseases. Your dentist will ask you questions about your general health before you receive the implant to ensure that it's the right tooth replacement option for you.
Are you wondering if you're a good candidate for dental implants? Call Dr. R. Scott Langdon, your Mooresville, NC dentist at (704) 664-1188 to schedule an appointment to get the process started.